Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Half full at TNF Philippines 2013

 

This time I liked the subtlety—the half of it. It felt just right. I’m back in my playground, I am home. I have no qualms but I did feel a bit of an envy of those going full. But hey this is the second best thing and I wouldn’t miss it for the world. 

Months before, I flew back to recall the old familiar sweet tinge run up and down my whole being. The scent of the grass, the pines, the sweat moved me while the loose edges of the rocks tickled my feet that made me dance a little. These I always miss. It makes me happy.

Good cheer filled the crowd of racers, most of them familiar stars that swarms timelines in facebook and sports pages. My eyes wandered as usual observing the emotion of the sea of faces—mostly excited, while some locked in a deep thought. I could relate more to the latter. I felt anxious, asking myself if i could finish this year. Images of 2012 played back reducing me to pieces. There’s no turning back as it is not an option. With several nights of restful sleep, I felt alive. Though prep wasn’t enough (again), I chose not to cram but rather go for several feel-good runs and verticals in my building. Fresh legs and feet, and a strong heart mattered the most I say as I came inside the shoot to be checked.

Of we went like fireflies into the darkness of the woods. Heart pounding and lungs telling that it’s functioning okay. Caught up with the middle pack at a muddy and slippery downhill. Happy with my Salomon speedcross my feet felt stable and had a good grip of the earth.

Approaching the airport strip shortly before 5am changed everything. Irritated of my windbreaker behind me did my fall so early in the race. I lost my footing at a hump and the ground just came up to kiss me. For a few seconds, I laid there on the hard surface then reflex pulled me up. As I pointed my headlamp to my knees, there was blood from different spots. My face felt funny too. The right part was thicker and blood was there too from a gash. I didn’t realize I hit my head too. My right cheek was bigger than my left and my right eye felt thicker and lumpy—just like what we see in boxing. I wasn’t sure how I looked but I was thankful because there was no pain at all. Adrenaline’s working kindly. I felt numb.

Worried of an infection, I had a medic attend to my wounds. The medic offered to cover the wounds as it was swelly but I felt better when they are exposed and dried. The sun’s up and bright and everyone I pass by and meet on the trail seemed appalled when they saw me. Perhaps I really looked horrible that time. A runner from Hongkong asked me…”oh my are you okay…did you get that running down?” I smiled and candidly said…”nah I was just stupid.” And we both laughed.

Surprisingly I lost thought of my wounds. I was busy running, walking, eating and drinking. It was terribly hot. I was tempted to join in a small group of runners resting at a very nice shaded spot. But no. I had a plan and it has to be done. Forward relentless motion. If needed, 5 minutes is max for any rest. I opted for that after the turning point just in time for some happy food.

Good cheer from fellow runners were nice to hear on the trails. Near the half-the-course mark, you would hear the usual—“it’s not that far”. Who were they kidding?, I live here—my playground. I just smiled and acknowledged.

My four-wheels were all good despite the cuts. No signs of cramps after that nonstop, long haul up. To boost that, I made sure that I had water and electrolytes and some little happy bites of something salty and sweet in between. I also took a quick cold bath at the summit and changed my shirt. I made a stop at a small store and bought ice on my way back. 

Passing by a maze of pathways at a community leading to the last haul to the finish was the longest as always. Time was still good and on my side. But the sun was breathing down my neck at every turn. There was no cover at that portion of that haul. I was desperate to find a shade. I was toast and ready to fry.

Pounding my way at the John Hay area was a break. Drank more of my remaining boosters and kept moving as I drew nearer, though that stretch seemed endless. I finally heard music echoing and crowds cheering. So this is how it feels to officially finish. Addicting—I want more of this. I came inspired and will go home inspired-- to do and come back for more. It’s the sweetest moment.

…quack quack!

 

44780_418696911559122_735613407_n

6 comments:

  1. Met you on your way down Cabuyao. You were so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. douttekotohanai that's not fair--you didn't say anything. How'd you know it was me? are you sure it was me? where exactly did we meet sa cabuyao? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was past the boulders about the size of a room and before the radars when suddenly you emerged from the tall grasses. I managed to say "Go Rashel!" in between my gasping for air, and you smiled back with a "Hi".

    I would have also forgotten this, but maybe you would remember me introducing myself and shaking your hands towards the end of race briefing, wishing you "Good luck". We were seated on the same table :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. douttekotohanai, there were several who wished me luck, but i guess you were one of them. And we were seated sa same table??? wow sorry di ko namalayan ah. Kc i was starstruck sa mga malalakas na runners around me and i was nervous too.
    Thanks douttekotohanai ha for wishing me luck ha...when is your next race?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ok :) Will join the BaldRunner's Sampaloc-Sierra Madre run on 16 June. 50K lang ulit as I build mileage for longer distance runs. The goal is to be invited by BR to join the Bataan Death March later on. Though I was more thrilled by stories of your conquest in Indonesia.

    Kaka-inggit ka nga e (esp. that luwak brew).

    ReplyDelete
  6. douttekotohanai, i was just fortunate to have worked in Indonesia. It gave me the chance to explore it. Indonesian coffee's really good, miss ko nga eh.
    Hey goodluck sa race mo and sa invite from BR. Thanks ulit.

    :)

    ReplyDelete