Friday, April 8, 2011

Running in Indonesia

Writing my thoughts about running in a foreign country wasn't easy. I needed to find my free time, and the right drive to sit and express how i felt. 

I arrived in Indonesia June of last year (2010), two days before my birthday. The first thing that hit me was the heat. It burnt me. I really missed Baguio so terribly. I wanted to go back. 




My first day was lazy. I didn’t want to move. Everyday, I got soaked in my own sweat. Every move I made was like a workout in a yoga class. I was restless and it was difficult to sleep and nap. It was just too hot and clammy. Food and food poisoning were an issue too. It really got in the way. Indonesian food tastes great but one needs to be careful where to get one.




 The first two weeks came and went. I was anxious and cranky and I knew the reason. I hadn’t run yet and that’s bad. This affected my temper and my mood at times. I had to drag myself and do something. I had to run soon or else I’ll lose my sanity. 




I asked my friend, Mitch to take me around, just so I’ll get familiar with how to navigate the area. We didn’t take the cab but rather the more usual and cheaper mode of transportation: Angkot(van), Damri (bus) and Ojek (motorbike) until I could finally get it.

 And then I had to learn survival bahasa too! Learning important words of bahasa was fun. It made me curl my tongue. Seems that every syllable is stressed and has this 'bend'  at the end. I like the sound of it. I noticed too that in every discourse made by the locals, they always end their statements with an expression of their gratitude by saying: terima kasih. I memorized that by heart. 

 


On my first run, I ran to the main road, near my school then back to my house. I decided to take it slow and short until 

I can gradually increase the minutes and the distance. I still had to get used to the streets, and the flow of the traffic. All cars are right-hand drive. I got confused with it that I almost got side-swiped several times. That made my runs exciting and adrenaline came surging.



That first run started it all. It made me feel good and I gradually got used to the weather.




























As I did my running routines, I noticed that running here is not common, especially so if you’re a woman. I usually get curious looks from people and motorists, but I didn’t mind at all. I just smiled and greeted them. How I felt while running was more important. I was high. That was all that mattered.


Being a lone runner in a province of a foreign country, i didn't have anybody to keep me company. I didn't have anyone to share my stories with, of how great i felt after every run. I run almost everyday and taking breaks in between. I go wherever...wherever my feet would take me.

 


My runs came more frequent and longer. I started to get bored with the usual route so I went farther and started earlier too. I started to go hunting for places to run. I often run to the the airport, about 13-16 kilometers away from my house or sometimes to the railway, just to have something new on the menu. The problem with it is the traffic. Motorcycles, cars, big trucks and other heavy vehicles would just come almost right by me. I got honks too from drivers, perhaps wondering what was wrong with me! I usually end up caked in dust, but again I didn’t mind.
 




After several months of getting used to the heat and traffic of Lampung, I knew I was lacking something. Uphill running. There weren’t much of those here. Everything was almost flat. I even had to go hunting for any gradual uphill where I could get a bit of a tilt. My heart was craving for that. It made me miss Baguio. When I went home for a break, that's when it hit me. I wasn’t as fast and strong in the uphill runs as I used to. I had to start all over again. 



I say, being here has its pros and cons. Here, the food and culture is great and my job a sort of an adventure that I'll never forget and I'm thankful. But at most, i miss home. I never fail to stop and imagine for a while, how it feels to be home. I terribly miss the elevation, the altitude, the climate, and the cardiac uphills of my hometown.




















I just know one thing, wherever i may be, running will always be a part of what i do. Running keeps me sane. I will keep running...come what may.




See you on the road. Wherever. 

Thank you for reading. I hope to get to hear from you too.








(Many thanks to Ms. Mitch Cariño)




No comments:

Post a Comment